04 April 2014


"Then there are the things I rarely ever say no to: spicy pasta; fresh seafood; moules marinières; fresh bread and olives; French black pudding and apple; roast lamb with garlic and rosemary; grilled goat’s cheese salad." 
Joanne Harris

Food styling and photographs by Annalise Muller

 When I travel long-term, I try to spend a bit of time helpx-ing wherever I go. It allows me to spend time in the countryside, learn new skills, and meet amazing people. 
While in France a few years back, I spent a couple of weeks in the Pyrenees, helping an English couple renovate an old bergerie into a bed and breakfast. They were such a cool couple, and my time with them was so enjoyable and educational! If you are thinking of a trip to France in the future, I recommend staying at their B&B. I can only imagine how lovely the final product is, and they are truly magnificent hosts.

The bergerie was located just outside of a tiny village called Galey.

I tried black pudding on the bergerie, served crumbled and hot with apples and cabbages fresh from their garden. It was perfect. I was hooked. 

When I saw black pudding mentioned with apples again, I knew one thing I'd be cooking this week. I also included rhubarb, because it's tangy and cuts through the richness of the pudding, but also because it's finally spring and I freaked out when I saw it at the market.
























Black pudding with apples, rhubarb, and spiced cabbage

1/2 a red cabbage, chopped or shredded
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 cup red wine
1 tsp lemon juice
2 eating apples, peeled and thickly sliced
1 stalk rhubarb, sliced
1 tsp sugar
8 oz boudin, or black pudding, sliced

1. In a large pan, heat some oil or butter. Add cabbage and cook for a couple of minutes.

2. Add wine and spices. Stir and cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir through lemon juice, and remove from heat.

3. In another, medium pan, heat a large knob of butter with a bit of oil. Add apples, rhubarb and sugar. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally to prevent any burning, until apples are soft but not mushy.

4. Meanwhile, heat a fair amount of oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Cook the black pudding on both sides, in batches if you need. Transfer to a lined plate to drain.

5. Serve all three together, perhaps with a bit of bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment